CoEd Varsity Golf
2017 West Potomac Golf Team Information
- The 2017 West Potomac High School Varsity Golf Season will run from August 1 through mid-October. Tryouts will be held the first week of August and the top 12 golfers (maximum) will make up the team. During the following three weeks after try-outs, there will be 3 to 4 18-hole tournaments in the area. Once school begins the 9-hole matches will be held after school. The season concludes with Districts and Regionals for qualifying teams and individuals. All 12 golfers will be given the opportunity to play. Tryout procedures along with player expectations and responsibilities are detailed below.
- Try-outs scheduled August 1 - 3, 2017
- Skills Assessments: August 1 at Belle Haven CC. Time TBD.
- Playing Assessments: August 2 & 3 at Belle Haven CC. Tee times begin at 3:00 p.m.
- NOTE: All students interested in trying-out for the WPHS Golf team must notify Coach Sue Thompson NLT July 28, 2017 at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The golf team will be selected on a variety of criteria, including, but not limited to:
- Prior experience playing golf. Tournament and inter-club match experience is a plus.
- A basic knowledge of the rules and etiquette of golf. It is not expected that a person know all The Rules of Golf, but having an understanding of the rules and how to use the rule book is important when participating in tournament and matches.
- Skills assessments including putting, chipping, pitching, sand bunkers and golf swing.
- Playing assessments will be based on 2 to 4 9-hole rounds played during the week of try-outs. The highest 9-hole score for each player will be thrown out. The remainder of the scores will be averaged. Rounds are typically played from the White or Middle set of tees. A 9-hole score average of 49 or less is the expected target.
- The 2017 WPHS Golf Team will consist of a maximum of 12 players.
- During the month of August practice / tournaments may be scheduled any time during the day, Monday – Thursday. Once school begins on August 28, practice / matches will take place after school, typically beginning at approximately 3:30 p.m. Students will be responsible for their own transportation to practice / matches.
- Tournaments of 18- or 36-holes and a few matches will be played during the month of August. These tournaments are played on weekdays and typically consist of 5 – 6 players. It is expected that even though team members may not be participating in the tournament, they should plan to attend to observe and support their teammates.
- During the September, 9-hole matches will be scheduled after school. These matches will be play at a variety of course throughout Fairfax County. Matches will typically consist of 6 players. It is expected that even though team members may not be participating in a match, they should plan to attend to observe and support their teammates.
- The District and Regional tournaments scheduled in late September / early October are two-day tournaments. The six (6) players who participate will be required to miss two (2) days of school for each event. The top two (2) teams and five (5) low individuals from the District tournament will qualify for the Regional tournament. Non-participating team members are not required to attend these tournaments.
- Participation in tournaments and matches will be based on coaches’ assessments during practices, tournaments and matches. There will be intra-team challenge matches throughout the year to give all players an opportunity to earn a position in tournaments or matches.
- For FCPS Participation Policy, please go to “Files & Links”.
- For Everything You Need to Try-Out, please go to https://www.fcps.edu/activities/student-athletics
- You MUST have all your forms completed and requirements completed, and obtain your Yellow Card prior to the first day of try-outs. http://www.westpotomacsports.org/main/filesLinks
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Sue Thompson, Head Golf Coach at email@example.com